STRENGTH IN NUMBERS

Strength in Numbers dedicated to my late mother Kay

Baby’s death could have been avoided but NHS 111 staff ‘were working from a script because they are not skilled professionals’

  • William Mead died after developing an abscess in his left lung at 12 months
  • Mother phoned NHS out-of-hours 111 service the night before he died
  • Staff missed chance to save the infant as they read from script
  • Had he been admitted to hospital he could have been saved
  • Coroner records verdict that his death was due to natural causes

A baby died after NHS 111 staff working from a script missed the chance to save the seriously ill infant, an inquest heard. William Mead died the day after a helpline operator, with no medical training, advised his mother to give him plenty of fluids, Calpol and Ibuprofen. The 12-month-old had developed an abscess in his left lung caused by the bacterial infection streptococcus A. But had the out-of-hours service advised that the child be admitted immediately to hospital he could still be alive today, the hearing was told.

Click on the link to read more

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3120129/Baby-s-death-avoided-NHS-111-staff-working-script-not-skilled-professionals.html

29894DD600000578-0-image-a-12_1434033002635

William Mead was just 12 months old when he died after NHS 111 staff working from a script missed a chance to save him

Filed under: NHS Blunders, , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Pages

%d bloggers like this: